Los Angeles is a major metropolitan center that is home to a number of attractions that will be of interest to the MRS community. There are many places to visit in Los Angeles if you have some extra time:
Adjacent to campus:
- California Science Center and the Space Shuttle: This is adjacent to campus, and has free entry. Definitely make time to see the space shuttle!
- Los Angeles Natural History Museum: This museum is also adjacent to campus.
- Santa Monica: Take the Expo Line adjacent to campus all the way West to the beach and walkable outdoor shopping.
- The Broad: You will need advance tickets (they are free) to this modern art museum in downtown (unless you want to wait in a long line) but if you enjoy modern art, it’s worth visiting. You can take public transit to get there.
- Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA): An amazing collection you will not be able to see properly in a day. You can take public transit to get there.
- Getty Center (art and architecture) and Getty Villa (Ancient Greece and Rome): You need to drive or catch a Lyft/Uber/Taxi to get to these museums,
- Hollywood Walk of Fame: Take a walk among the stars! You can get there by public transit.
- Chinese Theater: Historic theater adjacent to the Walk of Fame.
- Griffith Observatory: An amazing view of Los Angeles (also free). Make sure to go early on a clear day. You can take public transit.
- Walt Disney Concert Hall: A beautiful building that’s home to the LA Philharmonic. Quite close to the Broad Museum. Pro tip: take sunglasses, the building can be pretty reflective!